Welcome to the sixteenth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to email@example.com. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
The third Blog Banter of 2010 comes to us from ChainTrap of the Into the unknown with gun and camera EVE Blog. He asks us:
"Eve University turns six years old on March 15th; six years spent helping the new pilots of New Eden gain experience and understanding in a supportive environment. Eve is clearly a complicated game, with a ton to learn, so much that you never stop learning. So, the question is; What do you wish that someone had taken the time to tell you when you were first starting out? Or what have you learned in the interim that you'd like to share with the wider Eve community?"
For me, if I could go back in time to my younger self, I would simply say:
Don't be afraid.
Don't be afraid to lose a ship - it is just tin.
Don't be afraid to lose a clone - you're immortal.
Don't be afraid to go outlaw - red and flashy is cool.
Don't be afraid to shoot someone in high-sec - they probably deserved it.
Don't be afraid to try move to somewhere new - that's what jump clones are for.
Don't be afraid of other so-called higher SP characters - it is
the skill of the person behind the avatar that matters.
Don't be afraid that you will be disliked - someone already dislikes you!
Don't be afraid to lose fights - you learn something new each time.
Don't be afraid of a poor kill/death ratio - it's nothing but numbers.
Don't be afraid that a T1 hull means 'noob' - t1 hulls, especially T1 cruiser hulls rock big time.
Don't be afraid to move between corporations - the right one will make all the difference.
Don't be afraid of paying a ransom to a pirate - they need isk too.
Don't be afraid of pirates - they need love and attention too.
Don't be afraid of everything that EVE has to offer you. It is a wild and bumpy ride for sure with mishaps along the way but it is your life and your choices that define your legacy. Don't be afraid to carve this legacy out as you see fit.
List of Participants
- CrazyKinux: The Three Pillars of Wisdom
- The Elitist: Helping the new guy/gal
- Hands Off, My Loots: Nothing Needed
- Rantuket: Blog Banter 16
- EVE Opportunist: Nooby Cluey
- Into the Unknown With Gun and Camera: EVE University
- Zero Kelvin: We’re the young ones!
- I am Keith Neilson: Set Your Destination
- Prano's Journey: Just Like the Very First Time
- A Merry Life and a Short One: No Seriously
- Yarrbear Tales: Nublet 101
- A Mule In EVE: If I only knew
- The Planet Risk Show: Dared to be Bold
- Diary of a Space Jockey: WTH did I get myself into?!
- EVOGANDA: Why?
- A Memoir From Space: 16th Blog Banter
- Death’s Sweetest Kiss: Who What When Where Why How??
- Freebooted: Beyond the Shortcuts
- Learning to Fly: Noobing
- Caldari Outcast: My First Blog Banter Post!
- More to come soon...